Friday, September 14, 2007

I Got My Red Beans Cookin'

Here's a recipe for Tree! I think you'll find you can feed a small army for less than $10 with this recipe. Try it and let me know what you think! It took less than 30 minutes, start to finish, to prepare! My tummy is full and I am ready for a nap.

Red Beans n Rice for Treesaw*

What you need:
Bacon Grease or 1/8 lb of Bacon
1 Onion
Some garlic
3-5 T of Flour
1/2 of a box of Chicken Broth
1 lb of Polish Sausage
1 can Bush’s Red Beans (I prefer light red beans!)
Optional: red pepper, Tabasco sauce, or the spice(s) of your choice
Cooked rice

What you do:
Gentleman, start your rice cookers!
1. If using the bacon, chop and place in large skillet over medium head. Cook till almost crisp. Add chopped onion and garlic (as much as you like). Cook till onion is almost transparent. Add flour. Stir with flat whisk till roux is medium brown.
2. Slowly add broth and stir. Toss in chopped sausage. Slop in red beans. (*I am still learning to eat beans. So I mash my beans gently with a potato masher.) Heat through.
3. Add more chicken broth if mixture gets too thick. Cook a bit longer if mixture gets to thin. Season to taste. I don’t salt as it is pretty salt from the pork products included. Serve with rice! Yum-Yum!

Beer Option: Substitute your favorite beer (or the crap in the fridge you’re trying to get rid of) for the broth (or go 50-50). The beer lends an earthy flavor to the beans.

This recipe as prepared above will make enough for 5-6 hungry adults. If you wish to stretch it to feed 6-8, all you need to do is add a little celery with your onion and another can of beans! Adjust broth/roux ratio accordingly. Party on! *This recipe is an adaptation of Red Beans and Rice that Greg Thompson, Doug Whitner, and I used to make - Back in the Salad Days! Note: Original recipe contained only: two cans of beans, one onion, one beer, and Polish sausage! Of course, served over rice! Those were the days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum Yum! They're even better the next day!

Anonymous said...

Hi K,
This does sound pretty good and I'll definitely give it a go... too bad I didn't check your blog before going to the grocery store!!

Love you!
T