Thursday, June 25, 2009

Vietnamese Beef Pho

Saturday I decided I would experiment with one of my favorite dishes to order when I visit a Vietnamese restaurant, Beef Pho. This recipe is a combination of a couple of recipes from cookbooks* as well as my experiences dining out. I was so pleased with the turn out that I snapped a picture before I chowed down. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Vietnamese Beef Pho
What you need:
3 quarts beef soup stock
3 inch piece of ginger1 large onion, unpeeled and halved
3 whole star anise
2 inch cinnamon stick
¼ to ½ cup fish sauce (or to taste)
1/8 to ¼ cup Chinese black vinegar or Balsamic (or to taste)
1 tablespoon chili sauce
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound rib eye steak, cut super thin. I used the steak cut for bulgogi available at the Korean market
10 ounces rice noodles, soaked in a bowl of water for 30 minutes
2 cups mixed cilantro, mint, and Thai basil leaves
1 cup bean sprouts
1 carrot, shredded
½ cucumber, thinly sliced
1 lime, cut into wedges
What to do:
Toss homemade or store bought beef stock into a soup pot. Toss in the halved onion, skin on, the anise, ginger, and cinnamon. Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. Skim off foam. Cool and strain. Return to pot and reheat.
Shortly before you’re ready to serve, soak the noodles in luke warm water for 15 to 30 minutes. Chop the herbs, slice the lime, and clean the bean sprouts. Set them aside.
Crank up the heat under the strained stock to high. Add the fish sauce and the balsamic vinegar to your taste.
Take four large bowls. Clear bowls allow for a lovely presentation of the different colors and textures. Divide the noodles, beef from stock (if using homemade), and raw steak (sliced thinly) among the four bowls. Pour the boiling stock into each bowl and top with the herbs, sprouts, carrots, and lime wedges. Serve at once.
* Henricksson, M. (2003). Everyday Asian. N.Y.: William Morrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow when are you going to make this for us. It looks wonderful.
Love You, Mom

Kat Mangione said...

Grandpa Doug might not like it, although I can reduce the fish sauce for him (I use only half of what the recipe recommended.). The noodles are very slurpy.