Sunday, January 27, 2008

45 Minutes

Or yet another reason I hate Embarq!

I spent 45 minutes on the phone and I am still not able to make long distance calls. I had about an hour before dinner and thought, let's call Embarq (again) to see what can be done about the phone. After being on hold for 25 minutes I got to talk to David. I explained that I was being charged for long distance but I was unable to use it. He said, "It looks like you have long distance." I replied, "Yes, I am paying for it, but I cannot use it." (This has been going on for months!). "Hold a moment." Five minutes later he comes back on the phone, "You're all fixed. You should have long distance within the next four hours." "That's great David," I say "but I am being charged for service that I have not had access to. While I do not expect to be reimbursed for October or November, I would like the December bill (due in about two weeks) and the current bill to be adjusted." (I am asking for a credit of $30/month for a total of $60. I already pay $200/month!) David coolly replied "We show no record of you calling to correct the problem so we cannot adjust your bill." I pointed out "I call from my office during business hours and haven't ever been able to hold long enough to speak to a person. It took 25 minutes to be connected with you." He repeated his previous statement. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He claimed his supervisor already denied my request preemptively (Is that a word?) and that was why I was on hold for the five minutes he said would take one. "Well then David, I would like to speak with someone who can help me cancel my services with Embarq." "Fine then, I'll connect you." I was on hold for another twenty minutes. I finally hung up. I still do not have long distance. And I have not been able to chat with a supervisor.

Warrensburg is a small town. With that there are some limitations, some drawbacks. Nearly all of them related to choice.

Shopping? Wal-Mart or Farm & Home
Groceries? Wal-Mart, Bi-Lo, or Parker's
Cable? Charter or Dish
Dinner Out? Appleby's or Rib Crib
Internet? Charter or Embarq
Telephone? Embarq
Trash Pick Up? Vic's Disposal, Warrensburg Trash, Heartland and the list goes on! There have to be TEN different trash companies in this town!

But only one phone service provider.

Considering Voice Over Internet Protocol like Vonage but then I still have to get Internet from either Charter or Embarq (and Charter's reputation for Internet service is worse than Embarq!). Cell phones from the Kansas City area may be thought (but I really never wanted to buy a cell phone! Ever!).

Monday I am going back to do battle.

If you think getting in touch with me is hard now! Just wait! I may be off the grid in no time!