Monday, August 25, 2008

Mrs. Wishy-Washy

Good ole Mrs. Wishy-Washy. She's one of my all time favorite book characters. One day she takes to cleaning all the animals on the farm. Shortly after getting them all clean, they find a nifty puddle and shout, "Oh, lovely mud!" If you have a preschooler or toddler, you must have this book. It's great for read aloud. The story pattern is easily picked up by kids and in no time they're reading on their own. "In when the duck, wishy-washy, wishy-washy." Of course, I totally identify with Mrs. Wishy-Washy on so many levels. She and I share the same buxom physique, however she has an ability to pull off fuzzy slippers where I cannot! We both find a great deal of pleasure (and perhaps self-medication) in the act of cleaning. And we are both find satisfaction in a job well done! Mrs. Wishy-Washy, I salute you!

Unfortunately, I've not been able to channel my Mrs. Wishy-Washy. My washing machine is on the fritz. It makes quite a horrid noise when one sets it to washing. I paid $60 for a wonderful man to tell me it would be cheaper to buy a new one! Oh no! Washing machines have transmissions? Well hooey! We're looking at nearly $300 to fix a $328 washing machine. The laundry mat is looking better and better. But at $1.50 to wash and $.25 for ten minutes of drying time the new machine would pay for itself in three months. But I would be right back where I am now in four to five years' time. Mr. Repairman assured me that today's washing machines have a 5-6 year life span. And I think he's right. My friend, Shannon, just replaced a switch on her 5-6 year old machine. I need a transmission on my 5 1/2 year old machine. His suggestion: Whirlpool or Maytag, and a front loading one at that.

Well, I've perused the Lowe's website and looked at several machines. And I am still uncertain. Fix the old one at $225 to $300 (depending on parts)? Purchase the least expensive Maytag or Whirlpool ($400). Or sell my first born (any takers?) and go for something a bit more expensive that is "supposed" to last 10 - 20 years ($650-$750). What happened to appliances lasting for decades?

So readers, I have to ask, "What are you washing with?" What kind of washing machine do you have? How long have you had it? Are you happy with it? What kind of detergent are you using? Does it smell good? Do you use dryer sheets, fabric softener in the rinse, or both?" Air your dirty laundry hear! I need help making a decision!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Wellll, I loved my Maytag that was bought back in 1970, but that was 38 years ago! OMG, could it be that long? It has long since died a transmission death much like yours, but it was at 15 years when that happened. Right now I have a Sears Kenmore laundry center---washer and drier in a stack. Wouldn't do it again, but I did buy it in 1998, so we may be on borrowed time, but then it is just me, not the heavy duty family workout yours gets.

I'm looking at Consumer Reports and they said back in Feb 2008, that repair-wise the survey says Maytag is still a good bet for both top and front loaders. Whirlpool not so much. If you want more on the Consumers Report, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Hey I posted twice and nothing?
Mom

Anonymous said...

I have a Kenmore 80 series that I bought when I first got here in 2003, making it 5+ years. I hope it does not get the 6 year itch. I an currently using liquid Tide. No problems yet.