Monday, May 26, 2008

Four and a Half Books


I am guilty. Guilty of a secret pleasure! And I must confess. For the past week I have been consuming books as if they were popcorn. I cannot seem to stop. I have not read for pleasure (other than the books that Orion and I read aloud) since the end of last semester. It all started with Nora Roberts' book, High Noon. In the past week I have found myself gobbling up three books by author James Patterson (an old friend in Arkansas introduced me to his books several years back!): See How They Run, Black Friday, and Midnight Club. These were some of his earlier books and a few of them had been published under different titles the first time around. It was interesting to see how his style has changed over the years and what has stayed the same. I really enjoy reading Patterson’s books.

I also reread just over half of The New Encyclopedia of Modern Sewing edited by Frances Blondin, copyright date 1943. My grandmother, Josephine, gave this book to me when I was in high school and I have read bits and pieces over the years. There is some serious information on altering patterns to make them fit any type of body. There are also great ideas for curtains, slipcovers, bedspreads, and even a chapter on reupholstering. I have found a few shops that will clean and oil my grandmother’s old Singer (circa 1932) and I am ready to get busy. Orion’s getting new pajamas for Christmas!

Oh, and by the way, I started Tami Hoag’s The Alibi Man this morning.

0 comments: