Monday, January 28, 2008

H is for Haiku

I never thought that creating The Encyclopedia of Me would take so much time and be so thought provoking at times. Twenty-six entries from A to Z- and here I am several months later and I have just reached the letter H. Fear not readers, I will not give up! Eighteen more letters to go...

Haiku is a Japanese form of poetry that contains seventeen syllables in three lines. There are five syllables in the first and third lines and seven syllables in the second line. Haiku are usually written about the natural world with an emphasis on a particular season.

I am not Japanese.

he reaches for her
his eyes dark and full of promise
her body quivers

hip to hip ~ lips meet
fingers curl around fingers
fires kindle within

pleasure builds with heat
gasping they push to the end
trembling together

serious kisses
turn to shared laughter and smiles
holding each other

one drowsy couple
another day spent loving
afternoon sun fades