Monday, June 16, 2008

Broken Heroes

I have a thing; it seems, for broken heroes. Perfectly imperfect men doing extraordinary things. My favorites include Monk, House, and Dexter.

With Monk, it was love at first sight. I've always loved Tony Shalhoub and his terrified, valiant, brilliant character Monk reminds us that all of us, despite our various stages of brokenness, are capable and worthy of great things.

House (played by Hugh Laurie) on the other hand calls to something darker. He's the guy your mother warned you about. Is it is pill popping, dark humor that tempts me? The medicine? Perhaps, but more than likely, I think that it is his surly countenance. He seems to be lacking social filters and tells people exactly what he thinks. There are so many zingers I'd wished I'd delivered at one time or another. House lets them rip without batting an eye.


My latest hero pulls at my heart for an entirely different reason. Dexter is played by Michael C. Hall. Is he the monster he claims to be? A serial killer with a code of honor? Or the little boy who witnessed his mother's horrifying death and was forever changed? Is it my "do-good-ing-school-teacher" persona that hopes he can find peace? Or my own twisted sense of right and wrong that hopes he doesn't get caught so he can continue "catching bad guys?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who the hell are these guys?
Never heard of them!!!
Better find some better news!
Ma

KT said...

It is not so much the characters of Monk, House and Dexter that are so appealing, but the talented men that portray them. In the hands of lesser actors, these characters would seem cartoonish. Yes the writers need to be given much credit, but it is the actors that bring them to life.

Lisa said...

Astute observations about three terrific characters and actors! I must confess that I stopped watching Monk for the most part after Bitty Schram left, but will catch up one of these days, for sure! Great post!