Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Chanukah

They say chicken soup is good for the soul. And your immune system. And both could use a shot in the arm!
Yesterday started early. Too early. 5:30 the alarms went off and the three of us were up! We spent about two hours tidying up the house, getting the cats situated, and loading the truck. It was dark and about 2 degrees F. Surprisingly we were gassed up and headed south by 8:01. Right on time. We drove for about 3.5 hours; as we headed south, the sun crept up over the land, and the temperatures rose to about 18 degrees by the time we crossed the Arkansas state line around 10:45.

We met Shannon in Harrison. We had a quick lunch and she picked up a few boxes so we wouldn't have to keep up with them. We were back on the road by 1:30. Of course, we couldn't cross the Buffalo River without stopping to play, even though it was only about 20 degrees by that time. Brrr! The edges of the river were frozen and made the coolest sound as we skipped rocks across the ice.

The rest of our trip was uneventful and despite our little jaunts, we made it to Conway by 4:00.

Orion and his cousin, Tabor, made quick work of our bags while I got started in the kitchen. I spent the weekend working on my secret chicken stock. Out came the pots. In went the stock. In went the carrots and celery and chicken. I got the mixer going and got the matzo balls started.
Meme and I peeled 8 potatoes and several onions while John zipped them through the food processor (Cheating, I know!). Soon we had potato pancakes (latkes) frying up in golden oil. As the soup began to boil I dropped in my light-as-air matzo balls. I have to brag, they floated effortlessly in the chicken stock and tasted like a little bit of heaven.
John was kind enough to snap a few of these pictures. Yum! I'm wishing I hadn't frozen the left overs. I think I'd like another bowl of soup!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow your soup looks wonderful!
I'll bet it was a hit with such cold weather.
Did your serve apllesauce with your potato's? Umm,,,,,,,,,,
Miss you all,
Love, Mom

Kat Mangione said...

Hey Ma,

Of course I served applesauce with my potato pancakes. I also made sure there was sour cream (my fave) and ketchup (for Orion!). Yum!

Bella Luna said...

Wow... the photos look like a snap shot of out a 1970's cook book! Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

I was there in person to watch her prepare this wonderful meal. Then I got to taste it!!! It was sooooo
good...just like the pictures show.
What a daughter-in-law...smart, beautiful, and she can cook!!!!