Sunday, July 6, 2008

I Fought the Lawn and the Lawn Won!

Friday, July 4th! Independence Day! Early Friday morning I snuck over to my friend R's house to borrow her awesome push mower (It's more like a drag you behind it mower!). Upon returning home I immediately started in on the front yard. Our mower has been out of commission for weeks. The grass in the yard was up to my calves. In fact, in the back yard, the last 15 feet to the fence hadn't been mowed previous and was up to my knees! Some weeds were chest high! (We've been getting a good deal of rain!) I mowed. And I mowed some more. R's mower rocks! The grass was high, so I took it easy, mowing in four to six inch passes (Did I mention we have a HUGE back yard?). I would stop regularly to make sure grass wasn't sticking to anything and refilled the tank at least once. By 2:00 I had mowed to the line where the grass had grown too high. I didn't want to risk a stroke OR R's awesome lawn mower. I called it quits and considered letting that last bit of yard serve as a "Prairie Restoration."

I stumbled into the house, dropped my drawers in the laundry room, and stood in the shower for several minutes wondering how I got grass on the inside of my under garments. Shortly after my shower I heard the doorbell ring. John answer to find our neighbor, Mr. Droege. Mr. D began, "While I was napping, my wife was watching your wife mow the yard. I don't think you all will be able to mow that back part. Would you like me to make a few passes with my riding mower?" Of course, we accepted. Mr. D made a few passes and in NO time the prairie was tamed. I am humbled by the kindness of my neighbors and reminded why I like Warrensburg so much! Thanks to my friend R for lending me her mower (for an unspecified time) and to Mr. D. for getting the big stuff!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lawns aren't your JOB! you had better take it easy! Its not fair that you have to work so hard!
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Kat,
Finally I found you. How could I ever forget "katatonic blues"? It is good to read your blog. You are amazing!! Good to see you are doing well.
Shawna

Kat Mangione said...

Shawna Leigh! How wonderful for you to find me. After we chatted (nearly 18 months ago at Xmas) I lost your phone number! Send me an email! I have no way to contact you!