Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lettuce Pray

I recently found a recipe in my old Betty Crocker cookbook for Crab Louis. An average salad (greens, hard boiled eggs, olives, and tomatoes) made special by adding crab and Crab Louis Dressing. The recipe also had a very 70s ring so I had to try it.

I went to Wal*Mart to pick up the necessary items: fresh salad, tomatoes, and chili sauce for the dressing recipe.

I found everything but lettuce. Well, interesting lettuce that is. I found one head of hydroponically grown Boston lettuce. I had since wilted and turned brown. I found bags and bags of mixed salad greens that were quickly turning to wine (yuck!). And I found rows and rows and rows of Iceberg. I wanted something interesting!

So I picked out the best bag of mixed greens and threw in a bag of spinach. I made it work.

The Crab Louis was quite tasty, however I must add that the dressing tasted remarkably like 1,000 Island. Interesting...

Crab Louis

What you need:

For the Salad:
4 cups lettuce (your choice)
4-5 hard boiled eggs
4 medium tomatoes
black or green olives
14 oz of crab (2 7 oz cans, fresh, or surimi)

For the Dressing:
3/4 cup Chili Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon instant minced onion
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire

What you do:
1. Mix up the dressing and place in the fridge.
2. Toss up the salad. Add whatever else is in your fridge and wants to come out! Use eggs and tomatoes to decorate the top of the salad.
3. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook: New and Revised Edition, Golden Press, New York, (c) 1979, 8th Printing 1983, p. 79

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the same old Betty Crocker cookbook we got in home ec. way-back-when?? If so...I still have mine, too. Had it out a few days ago! Pam

Kat Mangione said...

Indeed Pamela Lynn, it IS that very cookbook. My grandma Mangione gave me the $ to purchase it. I use it often. Glad to hear you still have yours! Ah, memories!