Friday, July 11, 2008

Running on Empty

Running on - running on empty
Running on - running blind
Running on - running into the sun
But I'm running behind

I had forgotten how much I like Jackson Browne until this week when I couldn't get his song, Running On Empty, out of my head! It was a litany that kept me going for the past several weeks as I put in 12+ hour days on campus, 6+ hour stretches of grading, all while averaging about 4 or 5 hours of sleep! It's just a reminder that I am not as young or as resilient as I used to be.

4:30 yesterday I said good-bye to my last group of summer students. I've enjoyed getting to know all of my students this summer. I only wish I had had more time to devote to them individually.
7:02 last night I completed grading my 'last' paper, test, reflection, website, whatever! (I'm waiting on two items from two students.)
7:05 I began grading a portfolio that had been turned in late and needed immediate grading for admission to student teaching.
8:50 I finished grading said portfolio and headed home.

I spent several hours with the boys straightening up the house and doing a load of laundry in preparation for our very quick trip to Arkansas. We'll essentially be driving down, visiting with Tree on her way to Mexico City, and driving back! I'm not looking forward to the driving, but I am looking forward to visiting with nephews and niece.

Now for all of you Jackson Browne fans, a little clip of Running on Empty from 1979.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat, my e-mail is shawnarascon@yahoo.com. E-mail me your number so we can catch up!!1 I'm headed out on vacation next week so I'm certain I will be speaking with you soon.
Love you,

Shawna