Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dubious Crock-pot Experiment #1

It has been forever since I've been to the grocery store. But I am in that "use what you have in the pantry" mode. I am also in that work on the dissertation every spare moment mode. And to top it off, I had a PDS book study in Knob Noster this afternoon and I have an Advisory Board meeting tonight! When would I make dinner and what exactly would I make?

I decided to write down what I did on the off chance that what came out of the crock-pot hours later would be edible. About two hours into cooking I was delighted by the smells coming from simmering crock-pot on the counter. Perhaps dinner wouldn't be so bad after all. I am home for only a few minutes before rushing off again. I gave the contents a stir and a taste. I am looking forward to dinner later! I went ahead and made rice (for Orion) and I have flour tortillas as well. I dare you to give it a try. Let me know what you think. And please suggest a name for this recipe using comments or by sending me an email. I am not sure I can call it "Dubious Crock-pot Experiment" forever. Especially if I decide to submit the recipe...

Dubious Crock-pot Experiment #1

What you need:
Can o' Black Beans
1/2 Bag of Frozen Corn (More if you like!)
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts; sliced or diced (You decide.)
Garlic and Onion Powder
Cumin and Cayenne Pepper
Cilantro
1 Onion; chopped
1 Jar of Salsa (As spicy as you want!)

What you do:
1. Open can of black beans and rinse. Toss in crock-pot.
2. Toss in half bag of frozen corn.
3. Place chicken on beans and corn. Sprinkle with garlic, onion and garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, and cilantro.
4. Top with chopped onion.
5. Dump jar of salsa on top.
6. Place lid on crock-pot, turn on low, and leave it for 4 to 5 hours.

Serving suggestions:
A) Serve over chips topped with cheese for a "chicken nacho" kind of meal.
B) Serve over rice.
C) Wrap it up in a flour tortilla topped with cheddar cheese.
D) Use it in a salad topped with Ranch dressing or sour cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This stuff sounds wonderful to me! I'll have some!
Love Mom

Kat Mangione said...

I must say, dinner was better than I had expected! Even John (who is suspect about anything that comes out of a crock-pot) had two helpings!

Now all I need is a name! I think I'll submit it to Woman's Day or Better Homes and Gardens. I rock!