Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mom Saves the Day

Wednesday night was our first official meal in the new house. I was pretty tired and had a voracious appetite... I worked on campus that morning and had spent about four hours at the old house cleaning- and somewhere along the way forgot to eat. So I find myself at the new house in a kitchen that is piled high with boxes. Essentially I have a pot, a butter knife, a few things from the fridge at the old house, and my hunger.

I looked around the floor of the kitchen and spotted a milk crate of canned goods and in the corner I found two onions. Red Beans & Rice! Inexpensive, easy, and satisfying. I grabbed up the rice cooker (red is hard to miss!) and got it started before proceeding to chop onions and toss them in to the pan on the stove. But wait, the stove won't heat up! The oven works, but the burners won't heat! Crap! I'm starving. And out of the corner of my eye I see a stainless steel, electric skillet that mom gave me years and years and years ago. I believe it was part of her cookware set from the 70's. The skillet rocks. It is completely immersible, stainless steel, and has a liquid core so it heats evenly. And even though it is stainless, things don't seem to stick! So I fired up that bad boy and got my Red Beans Cookin'! Thanks mom!