Thursday, October 23, 2008

Making the Grade

Dear Readers,

The results are in! Orion has successfully survived his first quarter as a sixth grader. I don't know if it has been harder on him or me... Probably me. Letting them grow up is hard. To start of the year John took Orion to his before school social and met the teachers. We kept parent involvement to a minimum. I didn't send my usual letter describing Orion's various learning features (C.A.P.D. & Dyslexia) or his need for frequent bathroom breaks (U.C.). I held back. I wanted to see how middle school was going to work out. All the time, ready to jump in and rescue him...

But so far, there has been no need. Each of his teachers commented on his lack of organizations skills and how that's keeping him from making better grades. Each of his teachers commented on what a respectful and good student he is. The conference was student led, so he showed me work he wanted to share, explained work the teacher wanted to share, and discussed his strengths and weaknesses. He even had an "improvement" plan for Communication Arts (since his state test was a few points below "proficient" and in the "basic" pile. I told him I wasn't worried as his score might be "basic" he was still above the state average! I'm a bad mommy!). After that, he walked us through the Book Fair (I'm glad I left my purse in the car!), we took a parent survey, and went to the cafeteria for cookies and report cards.

Orion's first quarter grades are:
2 Cs
2 Bs
2 As

I am so impressed and so proud of Orion!

For those of you who would like to read more about Orion. Visit his blog. It is no longer invitation only. The Life of Orion is open to all. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandparents pay for A's remember. So he will be getting card in the mail, unless you and John do not want us to do that.... I told you he was a genius!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of Orion! I knew he was a smart little guy!
Hopefully in the spring time we will come and visit!
I have to get better first!
Love you all,
Grandma