Friday, October 3, 2008

Yurt


I've often thought about my 'dream home.' What would it look like? Where would it be? How would I build it? Even as a little girl I would spirit away my father's plan books for second homes, country homes, and the like. While my ideal spot for a home has remained fairly constant: wooded, mountains or hills, with a lake or river close by, my ideal 'house' has taken a variety of forms. This is one of the more unusual. A yurt.

My brother often warned against living in a circular abode, but I am fascinated and drawn to the simple complexity of the yurt. The largest I've seen offered are 30' in diameter. This would afford about 750 square feet of living space. Tight, for sure, but without interior walls, possibly more roomy than my most recent rental house at 850 square feet.

There are several places where one can investigate and shop for yurts. Some of my favorite include: Pacific Yurts, Rainier Yurts, and Colorado Yurt Company. Check them out. Let me know what you think. Until then, I'll dream about living off-grid and plan how to arrange 5,000+ books in 750 square feet.

0 comments: