Saturday, August 25, 2007

Lunar Eclipse

The Leslies are hopeful that the upcoming lunar eclipse will make up for the disappointment of the Perseid Meteor Shower earlier this month. I've got my chair, my tripod, and my camera. Let's hope that Mother Nature cooperates and that my astrophotography skills aren't so dusty as to be useless. (I'll be channeling you, big Brother!)

August 28th promises an astronomical event you won't forget! Tuesday morning, very early, the moon will be eclipsed by the Earth's shadow. Just about 3:00 in the morning (Yes, when "normal" people are sleeping!) the moon will begin entering the penumbra, also known as the faint, outer part of the Earth's shadow. Nearly 50 minutes later, the moon will then begin entering the umbra, or darkest part of the Earth's shadow. The moon will be totally eclipsed around 5:00 that morning and totality will last for about 90 minutes. The sun will begin rising just before 6:00. With this in mind, we will not be able to view the moon as it exits umbra and penumbra.

This event needs no special instructions or equipment for viewing. Just take a walk outside and look up! If you plan to spend some time watching the changes, bring a lawn chair, a beverage, and some insect repellent. Have fun! Let me know what you see! I hope to have pictures to let you know what WE see!

1 comments:

Bella Luna said...

http://www.mreclipse.com/MrEclipse.html
Leslie's.. go here... practice tonight... and the you'll be ready for the big day tomorrow!