Saturday, August 18, 2007

Reduce, Reuse & Recycle


Hey all. Trying to avoid my dissertation. Again. Actually, I was cleaning my upstairs and moving some things around. I found 11 years worth of calendars (!). I know, I know. What was I thinking? Well, I'll tell you.

This is a picture of the calendar my friend, Shannon, bought me for Christmas last year! I plan to use it again in 11 years!

Years ago, when I was in college for the first time, my friend Jennifer Atkins, would reuse old calendars. She told me they could be used about every six or so years. I hadn't really thought about it.

Well, starting in '96 Shannon began buying me a calendar every year as a Christmas or birthday present. Yea! For seven years straight, I received Winnie-the-Pooh calendars. Nice ones. With stickers! But I didn't write on them. I told her I would reuse them. Well, I am! I am reusing 2001 for the rest of this year. I'll use 1998 for 2009 and 1999 for 2010.

This excites me as I have a wonderful Hello Kitty, Gods and Goddesses of India, Emily the Strange, and other favorites. Shannon as well as Michael and Robin give beautiful calendars just about every year. One for home. One for office. Best of all, I'll be able to reuse my Juicy Goose 2007 calendar in 2018. Ellie will be 13. Do you think she'll be embarrassed?

Well, if you're interested in reusing your old calendars, but you're not sure what year they'll be good, don't worry! Visit the Calendar FAQ site at Time & Date.com! Here you will find the link to the calendar calculator so you can find out when you can use that 1985 calendar again. One thing to note: While you're birthday lands on the same day every year, there are several holidays that change from year to year (e.g. Easter, the first Sunday after the first full moon to occur after the vernal equinox, or first day of spring!). If you decide to reuse your calendar, variable date holidays will not be listed correctly.

Good luck! Happy reusing!

P.S. Shannon, Michael, and Robin- 2008 will be a leap year and I will need a new calendar. Hint Hint! Leap year calendars can only be reused every 28 years so I don't have a calendar for next year!

2 comments:

Bella Luna said...

Perhaps I could get you the Halley's Comet leap year calendar--that way you could use is once 75 years.... :-)

Tree said...

Did you hear about the Thai police officers who have to wear Hello Kitty armbands as a symbol of shame, when they make an error, like coming in late to work?
Hmm