Sunday, October 28, 2007

B is for Books


My favorite memories of childhood are of reading books with my little sister, Tree. We would grab a couple of books and lay across her double bed; feet propped on the wall, and read. We would read for hours. Every so often we would stop, ask each other questions, make comments, and then continue. When we completed said book, we’d swap. When we finished both books, we’d have grand conversations. I remember being in 10 or 11 and comparing and contrasting the death of Aslan with Christ's crucifixion with my sister, two years younger.

I still have books that my sister and I purchased from Scholastic when we were in elementary school. Where did my passion for collecting books come from? I think my book hoarding stems from two separate issues. I believe that I associate books with education and intellect, thus with wealth. I also remember being traumatized by reading Fahrenheit 451 in high school; I knew it was my mission to save the printed word.

I could not possibly pick a single book to be my favorite, but there are several that I would highly recommend:

  • The Fire Cat
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Stellaluna
  • The Polar Express
  • The Laura Ingalls Wilder Series
  • The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Anything by Madeline L’Engle
  • StarGirl and Star Girl
  • The Giver
  • Just about anything by James Patterson, and
  • Astronomy books by Carl Sagan

0 comments: