Thursday, February 21, 2008

Night Readings


Nearly every night Orion and I try to find something to read. Last year we consumed Andrew Clements books like potato chips. Seriously. This year we have dabbled a bit, reading a little bit of this and a little bit of that. However, this year for Christmas Orion received copies of several of the Brian books by Gary Paulsen. (Thank you Grandma & Grandpa in the Palm Trees!). I thought it best if we began reading Paulsen's books in the same order I did about 12 years ago when my friend, Alayne, lent me her copy of Transall Saga.
Orion enjoyed Transall Saga, but I think he has totally loved Hatchet & The River! Hatchet is about a 14 year old boy who survives a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness for 54 days with nothing but his wits and a hatchet. The River finds Brian back in the woods. This time with a man who works for the government- he wants to find out how Brian survived. My brother Michael would love these books!
We have several choices now: Brian's Winter, the what if story that details Brians survival of a winter in the wilderness had he not been rescued, Brian's Return, and Brian's Hunt.
I'll keep you posted.