Friday, February 8, 2008

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

As you know, gentle readers, my sleep patterns have been totally shot for the past two weeks or so. I have yet to identify the reasons for thus, but I have an idea or three.

My sleeplessness aside, I remembered seeing an odd advertisement in one of my favorite catalogs (Signals). The items were decal quotes from authors and movies that one could place on their walls. The one photographed for the catalogue was Shakespeare's "To sleep, perchance to dream" from Hamlet's Soliloquy. You can see the picture here. What really got me going was the dark humor of placing such a quote ("To sleep, perchance to dream") above one's bed. For when Hamlet says these words he is contemplating the favors of suicide. Not a good night's sleep.

It's been years since this decal came out (before I moved to the 'Burg) and I wonder how many folks unknowingly placed this decal above their beds?

And better yet, how many folks knowingly placed this decal above their beds?

A little Friday morning dark humor for you!