Monday, July 23, 2007

Gardening at Night


This is my tiny garden. My garden boasts two giant, very old trees. These trees provide some awesome shade, however it makes planting pretty tricky. You might be able to see in these pictures that my garden consists of hostas, caladiums, and ferns. The wheelbarrow is filled with impatiens. They seem to be doing quite well, despite of all the neglect. The caladiums add a punch of color. I am eager to watch the hostas grow and grow, I know that in just a few years' time they will be big and bushy.
Early this spring, Shannon and I planted hundreds of bulbs: paper whites, daffodils, irises, and lilies. This was some seriously back breaking work as my garden had very little dirt and lots of rock and roots. These bulbs have grown and greened, but did not bloom this year. I did not expect them to. However, the Calla Lilies I planted (They're favorites of Robin's!) did bloom and they were gorgeous. I have lavender and while Calla Lilies, unfortunately the photo didn't come out. Ugh.
There is a border of Arkansas rock that defines this little space. Cypress mulch keeps the dirt and bulbs in place during our impressive rains. My only plans for this space, besides watering and weeding, are to add a series of small pavers, to make walking through the area a bit easier, and to let those babies grow, grow, grow.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Green Thumb! Your garden is lovely, colors are perfect! Can't grow those kinds here they would cook to death!
Mom
Need pictures of the inside of the house too!