Thursday, July 12, 2007

James Hunter Rocks!

(James Hunter, Playing with Fire, Omaha, NE June 16, 2007)

Father's Day weekend found John and Orion headed to Arkansas for Camp Subiaco while Kat and Shannon headed to Omaha, Nebraska for a free concert. Omaha is home to Playing with Fire. The Playing with Fire concert series provides several free concerts during the summer where voluntary donations at the gate go directly to the local food bank and percentages of proceeds from tee shirt sales, soda sales, etc. go to various non-profits (e.g. The Blues Ed. Program). What a show!

Shannon and I were on a mission. To see James Hunter- up close and personal. And we did! Shannon sent me a link to James Hunter's site nearly a year ago. I immediately fell in love with his music! James Hunter, a singer and songwriter from the U.K., will win anyone over. Click on his name to visit his website and hear some of his music. He's awesome!

To make a long story longer, when I heard Shannon was headed to Ireland this summer I thought I would check out his website to see if she would be able to catch him while she was on vacation! What I found was that he was right here, practically in my back yard. Omaha is (only) four hours from the 'Burg. And off we went!

The concert was in downtown Omaha at the Lewis & Clark Landing along the Missouri River. The gates opened at 4:00. We were there at 4:05 and were able to park directly across the street from the park! The landing is brick and concrete, so if you go - bring chairs. The temps that afternoon reached 95 and there was no shade to be had. But that didn't dampen our spirits. We were treated to three opening "Blues Ed." bands where local adolescents and young adults jam together. They were quite good. Curtis Salgado also sang his heart out. He was great, however Shannon wouldn't be swayed- she had one man on her mind, one man in her heart. Finally, just after 9:00, the scorching sun had set only minutes before, James Hunter came to the stage. He was great. I was ready to sing along. I was ready to dance. I was ready to rock and roll. What I wasn't ready for: his awesome sense of humor. I was able to take a few pictures with my sluggish camera. Enjoy! And if you ever have a chance to see James Hunter - DO SO. If you ever have a chance to hang out one of the Playing with Fire concerts- BRING SUNSCREEN.



Curtis Salgado wails a good tune.











Shannon smiles as James comes to the stage!






The many smiles of James Hunter!































Thank you James for an AWESOME show. Thank you Shannon for ADVENTURING with me!

0 comments: