Saturday, July 14, 2007

Ramen Noodles for Doug


Mom tells me that Grandpa Doug loves Ramen Noodles and that he eats them several times a week for lunch. Well, what can we say, the man has good taste! I remember my first Ramen. I was a wee 15 year old lass at Arkansas Governor's School when a fellow AGS student made me a cup of Ramen Noodles. Later, I practically lived on Ramen as an undergraduate student,. But it wasn't until Orion discovered them that they've returned as a staple in our household.
A year ago I was visiting my mom-in-law and thumbing through her awesome magazine collection. I found a rather peculiar recipe for Ramen Noodle Pancakes in Southern Living, of all places. I took the recipe to John and instructed him to make them for me.

I was pleasantly surprised and continue to be as the recipe has morphed via John's creativity.
The following recipe is posted in honor of Grandpa Doug and shared for all to enjoy. You can find the original recipe at the Southern Living website or link directly here. But personally, I like mine better:

If You Like Egg Foo Young, You'll Love Ramen Noodle Pancakes

What you need:


  • 2 (3-ounce) packages chicken Ramen Noodle soup mix


  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided


  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour


  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten


  • 2-3 small green onions sliced, including greens


  • 1 cup of assorted finely chopped or shredded vegetables. I like Julienned carrots or finely chopped water chestnuts. Try whatever you think you might like, or better yet, whatever is on hand!


  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce


  • a touch of sesame oil


  • 1 garlic clove, pressed

What you do:


  1. Cook soup according to package directions (I like to stop the cooking JUST before they're finished so they're not mushy when they get cooked in the pancakes!); drain noodles, and set aside, reserving broth.


  2. Whisk together 2 tablespoons oil and flour in a saucepan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add reserved broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Set gravy aside, and keep warm.


  3. Stir together cooked noodles, eggs, and next five ingredients. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon noodle mixture by 1/2 cupfuls into hot skillet, and cook, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes each side or until golden brown, adding remaining 1 tablespoon oil as needed. Serve with warm gravy.


  4. I have found that actually trying to cook these pancakes in a large skillet doesn't work so well. John showed me how to use a small egg skillet to create a large pancake (perfectly shaped) that comes out light, fluffy, and delicious.


  5. Enjoy this tasty and inexpensive meal!

Now, for those of you who cannot seem to get enough Ramen, check out Matt Fischer's Ramen Blog. Not only will you find hundreds of Ramen Recipes, you will find interesting ways to cook Ramen Noodles. My favorite being for the 'culinarally' challenged: run hot tap water over them till they're ready to eat!

Enjoy your Ramen Noodles Grandpa Doug and when you come visit we can try out some of the recipes I found at the Ramen Blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope this works! Been trying!
Mom

Anonymous said...

I will try the receipe for the pancakes, I am sure Grandpa would like them. I have made the Ramen Cold slaw that is is really great!
Mom