Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Summer of Music

Alison Krauss
June 19

The day after my trip with Shannon to Omaha (to see James Hunter!) we went to see Alison Krauss with Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas.

Shannon called me one day to tell me that she had read that Alison would be playing in Kansas City at the Starlight Theater! I laughed, as it is one of the few places in Kansas City that I can find! You see, it’s next to the zoo. Anyway, I enjoy a good Alison Krauss tune from time to time, but I was not prepared for the beauty of Alison’s voice in person! So many times you will see a group in concert and they just don’t measure up to the “studio version.” This was not the case. Alison and the guys sounded even better in person. They had no opening band, and played for over two hours straight. The rest of the band took a slight break when Jerry Douglas did a kick ass Dobro solo. Wow. Not sure you like bluegrass? Check out Alison Krauss et al. and you’ll find yourself loving bluegrass.

Goo Goo Dolls
July 2

Shannon’s email to me to let me know she had secured tickets to Alison Krauss in June came with a surprise. She’d also bought tickets for the Goo Goo Dolls for July 2! Holy smokes! What fun! Shannon returned to the ‘Burg just before Independence Day and we headed back over to the Starlight to see Johnny Rzeznik and his friends. They were full of energy and put on a great show. Rzeznik, a Polack from Buffalo, NY, had a great sense of humor and interacted with the audience. I had a blast!

The Starlight

The Starlight Theatre in Kansas City’s Swope Park rocks! Literally and figuratively. This outdoor venue offers all sorts of affordable, summer concerts as well as plays and other events. Less than one hour from my front door, you can bet I’ll be returning to the Starlight! Linda Ronstadt will be there on September 7th and Willie Nelson will be there on September 20th!


Shannon, thank you for taking me to see Alison and the Goo Goo Dolls this summer! This has truly been the summer of music!

0 comments: