Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Haroseth Jew


Lord, I miss bagels. After attempting to survive on Lender’s Bagels from the frozen food section of the grocery store for the past year, we had to try our hand at home-made bagels. Orion did most of the work on these. While I didn’t work very hard to make these bagels, I did work very hard to make them disappear. These are Real Honest Jewish Purist Bagels.

Well, in missing bagels, I began to think about Judaism. I believe this September boasts three holidays: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot. Well, my thoughts on Judaism led from Holidays back to food! And from there I was left to contemplate my Jewish roots.

What kind of Jew are you? After completing a twenty question quiz at Beliefnet I discovered what I already knew- I’m a Haroseth Jew! Using Jewish food as an analogy this quick quiz will help you to define your Jewish identity, or lack there of. From “blueberry bagel” to “lukshen kugel” (Personally, I prefer a nice potato kugel!), discover your Jewish identity. This is what they said about me:

“Like this Passover fruit and nut mixture, your Jewish identity can take any number of forms, each blending tradition and innovation. Your cultural and ethnic ties to Judaism are stronger than your religious ones.”

If you still have time on your hands, test your understanding of Yiddish. Visit Bubby and take her Yiddish Quiz! This is a tough one. It'll kick your tuchas (or tokhes)! I only scored a 70% and I think that had more to do with my test taking skills. There were words I’d never heard or read before; I wasn’t even going to try to pronounce them! Give it a try!

Tell me! What kind of Jew are you and how’s your Yiddish?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just in case my Mom is reading this, I chose to photograph three bagels because they represent the Holy Trinity- the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost (yeah, ghost!).

Anonymous said...

Yep you got it Mom is reading this!
Only you would figure out that you are Jewish! You fell off a wagon and I picked you up!