Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hoosier Cornbread Revisited

Okay, so I got to thinking why it was that John would describe my friend's cornbread as "Hoosier." I know that a "Hoosier" is somebody that is a native of Indiana. And according to one of my favorite online resources, Urban Dictionary, Hoosier is defined " as "white trash of the worst kind. Also used as an adjective to describe anything several notches below your own perceived sophistication. Dates back to a strike that occurred in St. Louis in the 30's. During this strike, scab workers from Indiana were brought in to fill in for strikers." While I am fairly certain we didn't consider my good friend white trash, the definition explained to me why "Hoosier" was considered derogatory by St. Louisans and why my friend's feelings were a bit hurt.

I continued my research. Just what is "Hoosier Cornbread." And I have found a recipe (or two) for "Hoosier Cornbread." It seems that Hoosier Cornbread recipes share something in common and that is "a rich, cake-like cornbread." Perhaps that is what he was thinking.

And here's the recipe: Hoosier Cornbread, II

What you need:

1 cup white flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup yogurt OR 1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs -- well beaten
4 tablespoons butter -- melted

What you do:

1) Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease baking dish. Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Stir yogurt or sour cream, milk, eggs, and butter into dry ingredients only enough to mix.

2)Pour batter immediately into baking pan and bake until top is springy and sides are beginning to pull away: about 20 minutes. Cool a little and serve warm with butter or honey whipped butter.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok! This one I will even try, sounds good Katherine!