Saturday, September 22, 2007

Robert C. O'Brien


I've recently rediscovered Robert C. O'Brien. O'Brien, it seems, wrote for National Geographic decades ago. I know him best for his children's books. I first read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH in Children's Literature during my undergraduate days. It was highly recommended by my friend, Inge. I later read A Report from Group 17.

I recently had dinner with a new friend of mine, Chad. He was remembering his "first book." You know, the one you didn't have to read? The one that you couldn't put down? The one that "made you a reader." Z for Zachariah was that book. This discussion with Chad sent me to the library. One interlibrary loan, and a week later, the book arrived. It was indeed a page turner. Dark at times- an excellent book about survival. It reminded me of Green Angel by Alice Hoffman. Although O'Brien's ending might not be as promising or as uplifting.

After reading Z for Zachariah I had to know more about Robert C. O'Brien. I read that he also wrote The Silver Crown! I swear my sister and I had that book as children. But what I discovered about O'Brien that intrigued me the most was his birth name: Robert Leslie Conly. I think we would be hard pressed to deny any relation to this man. What do you think My Bob?

0 comments: