Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Best Weekend Ever

While it might not be the best weekend ever, it surely has been the best weekend that I have had in an exceptionally long time. It began Friday morning, early, when the boys awoke and left for Conway. The first thing I did was clean their bathroom (Pee Eww!). From there I changed sheets, worked on the laundry, swept, and worked on the house as a whole. I made it to work by 10:00 a.m. Just in time to sign my summer school contract, check my mail and voice messages, and attend our last department meeting for the year. We had fried chicken and sweet tea at our department meeting. It was good. That afternoon I had a few meetings with students, graded papers, and worked on reference letters. I left work at 4:30 to get ready for my "date."

Jennifer was my date for the evening. The Biology and Earth Science Department was having their annual award banquet for students. Jennifer's husband was unable to attend so I filled in. What an evening. It was wonderful to watch the slides of our UCM students out in the field. And when the awards were announced the professors were ready to burst with pride. It was great. But my most favorite part of the evening was when three of my best friends were honored with awards: Outstanding Biology Professor went to Jennifer, my date! Outstanding Geology Professor went to Sally, my exercise partner! And the Spirit of Science Award went to Vicki. I couldn't help but do a little dance (in my chair) for each of them!

Saturday morning I awoke early and dressed in sturdy jeans and sturdier shoes. I layered my tops and dug out my camp hat. I met a group of Geology students and two professors (Drs. Z and L). We drove to Jefferson City and spent the morning and afternoon investigating outcrops along Highway 63. We ended the afternoon at Earthquake Hollow. I learned more in 12 hours than I did in an entire semester 20 years ago. And I have the rocks to prove it! I can't wait till the next trip.

That night we had a late dinner of homemade pizza at Sal's house. We discussed research, science, misconceptions, math games, and pizza toppings. It was fabulous.

I slept. And I slept hard.

This morning I awoke and finished working on the house. I had some dusting and serious vacuuming to do. I have yet to dust and vacuum my bedroom, but the rest of the house looks nearly presentable. I am still working on the funky smell in the dining room and the wicked carpet stains throughout.

I spent my afternoon with students, always a pleasure, and ate a marvelous hamburger and a tasty dog.

My little boy is home and in the shower. Soon we'll both head to bed so we'll be well rested for the coming week. This week will be my last week of classes for the Spring 2008 semester. Next week we'll have finals. Summer school begins on May 12! Holy smokes. I better start running now!

My regret, I didn't take my camera to any of these awesome events!

0 comments: