Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Home, Only to Leave

Monday was a big day! A day of ups and a day of downs. I made it safely to Fayetteville only to discover that three of my last four interview subjects had been called out to their schools to assist with benchmark testing! I was on the verge of tears! My advisor was great. I took a deep breath, pulled some more names and started interviewing. A subject that was unable to meet with me last week showed up so I nabbed him. After lunch the Springdale cohort returned and I was able to pick up two of the three folks. I spent the afternoon in my advisor's office going over what needs to happen next and working on a timeline. We chatted about one of my most favorite and dearest professors, Dr. Rose Steelman. I had him and Rose to my house for brunch one day (years ago) as they both mean so much to me and are "painful constructivists." After my visit with him I had about an hour before my next interview so I decided to check my email. There I received an email from a friend in southern Arkansas. Rose died in February. The paper in Commerce, Texas wrote her a lovely obituary. And I sobbed like a baby. But I pulled it together, conducted my next interview, and completed the data collection process for my dissertation. Now I am just waiting for a few more expert surveys to find their way to me. Monday ended on a lovely note- I had a marvelous dinner with my big brother before returning to Shannon's.

Tuesday came too quickly, but I had class that afternoon and that evening. Into the car I jumped and headed north as quickly as possible. I was elated to make it back over the state line before I needed to refuel. Gas in Fayetteville and Bentonville is anywhere between $3.28 and $3.35. I paid $3.15 in Anderson. I was pleased to be making good time and was looking forward to my regular stop in Lamar (It's just about halfway and it's a great place to pee.). Seven miles south of Lamar there was a huge accident. I sat for nearly 90 minutes. I was three cars back from the wreck, but couldn't see anything for the semi trucks in front of me. I did watch as two LifeFlight helicopters landed, first one, then the other. It was miserable. After about 30 minutes I knew I wasn't going to make it back in time for my afternoon class. The second helicopter had yet to land. I watched it circle. And circle. And circle. Eventually I made it to Lamar where I stopped to relieve myself before jumping back in the car to (carefully) race the rest of the way home.

Tuesday evening Orion was too sick to remain at the library while I had class so we left roughly 20 minutes early. He cried and cried all the way home. I was tempted to take him to the emergency room, but wasn't entirely sure they would know what to do with him. My sister-in-law, Robin made several good suggestions. After Tylenol, a warm bath, and some TLC he settled enough to sleep.

Today I have spent preparing for my first paid consulting gig in St. Louis. I leave tomorrow evening after class. All day Friday I'll be sharing math games with Lyon A.B.I. It will be good to see my old teacher friends. I'll be returning Saturday afternoon!

April has been a whirlwind of travel. I am glad to see that the end is in sight. But for now, I am home, only to leave again.

0 comments: