Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Price of Ga$

Ga$ prices are rising at an annoying rate. Two days ago I drove by the pumps and prices were $3.22. I had half a tank. I kept driving. Yesterday I drove by the same ga$ station and prices were $3.28. Today the price of ga$ in the 'Burg is roughly $3.35 per gallon.

Last summer when the prices crept up to about $2.70 I was surprised to discover that ga$ here in the Middle of Nowhere, Missouri was usually about 30 cents less than ga$ in Northwest Arkansas. I am not sure why that is, but I have considered that it could be our different tax rate as well as the fact that much of our ga$ here is 10% ethanol. We actually have a few stations that sell E85. Here it is usually about 60 cents less a gallon than the regular juice.

I remember the first tank of ga$ I bought. I was driving Mom's T-Bird home and used my own money to replenish the tank. I felt so grown up. (After that Dad gave me the Ga$ Card.) That would have been 1986. I paid $1.30 a gallon. It dropped to less than a dollar a year later, about the time I started college. I remember filling up my tank for just about $10 every two to three weeks.

What about you? How much did you pay for your first gallon of ga$. Come on. Share. You don't have to tell us when! And how much are you paying for ga$ now? How much is ga$ in D.C., California, Arkansas, and beyond? What are your thoughts about using ethanol? Enquiring minds want to know!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

When I was first driving, gas was >$0.20/gal. Yes, that's under 20¢ for a whole U.S. gallon. Sometimes two gas stations across the street from each other would compete for business with a "gas war." They would lower the price penny by penny to see who would go the lowest and who could get the most customers.

And, oh, yes, self-service was unheard of. A young man would rush out of the station, pump your gas, wash the windshield, and check the oil.

My best friend and I would borrow her mom's VW, FILL the tank for $2 and take off for the Pocono Mts. We wouldn't have to fill the tank until we got back. It was about 150 mi. each way.

So now you know I am REALLY old.

Kat Mangione said...

OMG, now I _really_ do know... Ah, to be able to drive to the Poconos for $2... I'd be happy with $20! I wonder if anybody has done a study on the rate of pay increases and the rate of gas price increases. One of my stat professors looked at that and the cost of statistics textbooks. It was quite scary.

Anonymous said...

Gas in Huntsville, AR was $3.53 a couple of hours ago. It has went up over 20 cents/gallon over the last week and a half. One time it went up three times IN ONE DAY! I don't remember how much gas was when I started driving, but it wasn't much. It was down to 78 cents for a little while in 1998.