Wednesday, April 30, 2008

V is for Van


Van Morrison that is! Where would I be without the music of Van Morrison? Nobody makes me cry like Van. Yet when I am crying, he's the only one who can make it all better. Some say he's grumpy. Others say he cannot sing. I don't care. For me, his music is a religious experience.
The man has released scores of albums. In fact, just this month he released Keep it Simple. He writes love songs; he sings the blues; he's recorded some of the most wonderful hymns; he rocks. He has music for all of my moods!
Several years ago Van came to Nashville. It was my friend Shannon who told me he was coming to Dallas, but tickets had sold out. I waited for weeks for the Nashville tickets to go on sale. They were $85 each. But I'd always wanted to see Van. The tickets went on sale at 10:00 a.m. I picked up the phone and called. The gal who answered explained that it was only 9:58 and that I would need to call back. I reached her at 10:04 and they had sold out. I was miserable. Folks were selling his tickets on e-Bay for hundreds of dollars. No, I didn't go. But I will. Some day.
Picking a favorite Van song would be just about as hard as picking my favorite children's book. But I would have to say that of my many favorites, the following are definitely at the top: Have I Told You Lately, Tupelo Honey, I'm Tired Joey Boy, Enlightenment, When Will I Ever Learn to Live in God, Melancholia, and Brown Eyed Girl.
Van, your music makes my soul sigh and my heart sing! Thank you!

2 comments:

WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Kat,

On behalf of Lost Highway Records, many thanks for plugging Van Morrison's new album and, if you / your readers want good quality, non-pirated, preview tracks, full versions of "That's Entrainment" and "Behind The Ritual" (along with album track samplers) are available for fans and bloggers to listen to (and link to) on Lost Highway's web-site at http://www.losthighwayrecords.com .

Up-to-the-minute info on Keep It Simple and Van’s 2008 shows is, of course, also available on www.vanmorrison.com and www.myspace.com/vanmorrison and, for a limited period, you can still hear Van's exclusive BBC sessions and concert at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00b0cl1.shtml?src=ip_mlt / http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_aod.shtml?radio2/r2_vanmorrison and you can also see his Later With Jools and BBC concert performances at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00b0cl3.shtml and http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/vanmorrison/video/ .

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF

Anonymous said...

Kat.. I was using google to find a good picture of Van Morrison - when I came across your blog.. I have to say - I feel the same way.. nothing can make me feel better like listening to a little Van can... enjoy and live the music!