Wednesday, April 9, 2008

R is for Reuben

Not my boyfriend, the sandwich! I’ve spent nearly two years without a Reuben. It’s been a dark time for my soul and for my taste buds. So desperate was I, that I was not only happy to see the return of the Arby’s Reuben, I bought one. It was okay. Better than a Quarter Pounder with Cheese from McD’s (of course!), but it didn’t quite fill the void.

Then I found Kenny’s Restaurant and Pub. When I arrived in the ‘Burg Kenny’s was an upscale BBQ joint with a different name. I didn’t much care for their prices OR the fact that they couldn’t get orders right and their wait staff were rude. I ate there once. Well, earlier this year Kenny’s opened and after several months, some friends and I decided to give it a try for lunch. I found a Reuben on the menu. In an Irish Pub / BBQ Joint? I was suspicious. But I tried it anyway. What I thought was going to be a strike, the Reuben was NOT on rye bread, turned out to be a tasty alternative. My sandwich came out on a toasted deli bun. The corned beef was piled high and the best I’ve tasted. The kraut was not bitter. It was, in a word, delicious. And like any good food addict, I am wondering how long it will be before I make it back for another.

This makes me wonder, how many of you enjoy a Reuben from time to time, or do you prefer a Rachel? For those of you not in the know, a Rachel is made with Pastrami instead of Corned Beef. Please cast your vote using the poll to your right.

0 comments: