Sunday, April 20, 2008

S is for Steel Creek

(Stones at Steel Creek on the Buffalo River, April 2008)

Steel Creek is one of my most favorite places to camp. It is located near Ponca, Arkansas on the Buffalo National River. April 4th, 5th, and 6th found me, my family, and several friends "roughing it" down by the river. It has been almost exactly two years since I had been camping. So I used my trip to Fayetteville to interview my subjects as an excuse to spend time at the river and with my friends. It was wonderful! We arrived at 6:00 a.m. precisely and were delighted to discover that Steel Creek is exactly four hours from the 'Burg when traveling down highways 13 and 65 (between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.). It was foggy and cold! We set up camp, had a bite to eat and then napped for a bit. We played by the river (which was up for us, but way down from the recent flooding they experienced) that afternoon, had dinner and waited for our friends to arrive. Shannon and Mia arrived at 10:00 p.m. but by that time I was already tucking myself into the tent. Orion and John helped them settle. Saturday and Sunday were gorgeous! The dogs, Nola and her brother Nate (Nate belongs to Mia), played and played. John roasted a magnificent turkey breast and we all ate till we popped. That evening our friend Pope (now Dr. Pope) joined us with mudbugs and Priscilla (her giant German Shepherd). We broke camp on Sunday, but took our time; we didn't leave the valley until 3:30.

Monday found me interviewing my subjects and we made our way back to the 'Burg shortly before 11:00 p.m.

0 comments: